Log in



Maine Alliance for Road Associations

Liability insurance

  • 04 Dec 2019 7:29 PM
    Message # 8179436

    Has anyone had to get liability insurance for the road commissioner to protect from being sued? i.e. if I have to tow another resident's vehicle.

    Last modified: 04 Dec 2019 7:30 PM | Anonymous member
  • 05 Dec 2019 2:25 PM
    Reply # 8187438 on 8179436
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Title 23 section 3101, subsection 9 states:

    9.  Insurance.  A road association under this subchapter may purchase liability insurance to defend and indemnify the road association's officers, directors and owner members for any and all claims of liability or violation of law concerning the private road, private way or bridge and may include the costs of such insurance in the determination of each owner's share of the total cost under subsection 5.  

    If you have purchased such insurance, I would think that would cover it - but I would check with your insurance agent to be sure.  If you have not purchased such insurance, I believe that the general liability protection under section 3101, subsection 7 would NOT cover it.  Our road association got its insurance policy through Oberg, and we are pleased with their efforts to find us good coverage for a low price.

  • 06 Dec 2019 12:23 PM
    Reply # 8196665 on 8179436

    Hi Emily, 

    We have our insurance from Chalmers Insurance in Bridgton.  It includes both general liability for our association, and an Association Directors liability coverage. 

                            The Maine Alliance for Road Associations

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software