Log in
Log in



Maine Alliance for Road Associations

Any grants available for repair/replace bridge or outlet culverts?

  • 13 Jun 2022 7:24 PM
    Message # 12815652

    I represent Springy Pond Road Association in Clifton/Otis Maine. We have a Statutory Road Association. We recently had 3 gentlemen come to our pond to survey our inlet and outlet overpass. These are very old, still function with one overpass being a concrete structure and the other is 3 metal culverts at the outlet. Much conversation has taken place including doing a watershed study, offering that we do not qualify for a 319 grant, and cost of said structures can run into 6 figures to replace!!. We are planing on doing the study next spring as we have not done one before. Are you aware of any other grants that might help us just in case we had issues with either of these structures? We are being very proactive and looking for any ideas, suggestions anyone could offer. Thank you

    Last modified: 14 Jun 2022 5:37 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)
  • 14 Jun 2022 4:28 PM
    Reply # 12816570 on 12815652
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Some things I would look into include the Penobscot County or Hancock County Soil and Water Conservation District, or any local Lake Association that may be concerned about what would happen to their lake if the culvert washed out.  I'd also try the Maine Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS.)  I know they have a program that will sometimes replace culverts on private roads in some cases, for example if the existing culvert inhibits fish passage.  Here's a link to their contact page:   

                            The Maine Alliance for Road Associations

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software