Log in

    



 

Maine Alliance for Road Associations

Liability Insurance

  • 26 Jan 2010 10:39 AM
    Message # 274232
    Deleted user
    Can anyone direct me to a company that offers low-cost liability insurance to Road Associations?
    We have our EIN number and are ready to roll.
    Thanks,
    art
  • 26 Jan 2010 10:43 AM
    Reply # 274236 on 274232
    Deleted user
    Arthur Riggens wrote:Can anyone direct me to a company that offers low-cost liability insurance to Road Associations?
    We have our EIN number and are ready to roll.
    Thanks,
    art


    Hi Arthur,

    Not sure what "low cost" means to you LOL but we use State Farm in Windham at around $500.00 per year for "Directors" insurance which is a modification of "Condo" insurance.  Good luck and let us know if you find something less expensive!

     

  • 06 Feb 2010 12:32 PM
    Reply # 281309 on 274236
    Deleted user
    Ray Ronan wrote:
    Arthur Riggens wrote:Can anyone direct me to a company that offers low-cost liability insurance to Road Associations?
    We have our EIN number and are ready to roll.
    Thanks,
    art


    Hi Arthur,

    Not sure what "low cost" means to you LOL but we use State Farm in Windham at around $500.00 per year for "Directors" insurance which is a modification of "Condo" insurance.  Good luck and let us know if you find something less expensive!

     


    Ray, $500.00 does seem to be the going rate.
    I have another question;
    Can an association member or a non-member [renter] who is renting a home from a person who did not sign on as a member, sue the Association for damages caused by an icy road?
    We have had 3 accidents this winter by folks going too fast and sliding off the road.
    One vehicle was totaled [$7,000.00 damage].
    So much to think about!
    Thanks,
    Art

  • 06 Feb 2010 12:53 PM
    Reply # 281317 on 281309
    Deleted user
    Arthur Riggens wrote:Can an association member or a non-member [renter] who is renting a home from a person who did not sign on as a member, sue the Association for damages caused by an icy road?
    We have had 3 accidents this winter by folks going too fast and sliding off the road.
    One vehicle was totaled [$7,000.00 damage].

    Oh yes, they can sue you.  Anyone can sue anybody over pretty much anything.  Winning is another matter, of course.  But even successfully defending a lawsuit is an expensive matter.
    Last modified: 06 Feb 2010 12:53 PM | Deleted user
  • 07 Feb 2010 3:07 PM
    Reply # 281756 on 274232
    Deleted user

    I think Todd has a better legal mind/background than I do and I agree with anyone can sue anyone, but here is my opinion/thought process on your "lawsuit" question.

    I am not sure what you mean by "sign on" as the road assoc. is made up of all of those that "benefit" from the road.  I don't see road assoc. membership and dues as a voluntary thing.  In my mind, a renter could pursue a suit but that is why you would want to have the insurance.  Any homeowner that benefits from the road that sues the road assoc. would, in effect, be suing himself/herself (along with all neighbors).  If the suit resulted in an increase in insurance fees, then all homeowners would bear that cost.  I have no information at all as to how many suits of this nature have been against private road associations.  A lawyer might be able to compile precedents, etc to give you an idea but it would cost you the time spent.

     

                            The Maine Alliance for Road Associations


Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software