Log in



Maine Alliance for Road Associations

private road question

  • 13 Oct 2020 8:32 AM
    Message # 9300722

    I live on a private dead end road.  There are two road associations on this road.   A developer purchased a large parcel of land at the end of the dead end.  He hired a logging company to cut and haul wood.  They went back and forth hundreds of times over the road with their heavy logging trucks and damaged the road.  Now they want us to help pay for part of the repair.   We (the other homeowners) are saying NO.  Who is responsible for the repair?

  • 14 Oct 2020 8:49 AM
    Reply # 9303036 on 9300722
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

    I can't give you a definite answer without knowing more about the situation.

    1) Are the road associations established as "statutory" road associations under 23 MRSA 3101, or are they non-profit, or are they "informal" road associations?

    2) Do the road associations have bylaws, and if so, what do the bylaws say about this sort of thing (if anything?)

    3) Are there any restrictions on the deeds, especially the deed to the development property?

    I am not an attorney, so I am not allowed to give legal advice or interpret law, but I can tell you where to look for laws that might apply.  Also, you can contact Maine ROADWays through private email at roadways@juno.com if you need help finding the above information.

    Last modified: 10 Feb 2021 6:26 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)
  • 10 Feb 2021 9:01 AM
    Reply # 10077148 on 9300722
    Deleted user

    We have a By-Law that states that if the road is damaged by any member of the association or their contractor, then that member is responsible to bring the road back to the condition it was in prior to the damage.  They can get their contractor to fix it, or do it themselves, but it is the member's responsibility

  • 10 Feb 2021 9:56 AM
    Reply # 10077478 on 9300722
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Dennis - Good answer.  That's why I was hoping to find out if the questioner's road association is statutory or has bylaws that address the issue.  Our road association has a similar provision - that if a member damages the road, that member must pay to repair the damage.  Our bylaws also allow the road association to hire someone to do the repair, and bill the member as part of his assessment.  Of course if they refuse to pay,  it would then have to go through the "notice of claim" process which is available to Statutory road associations. 

                            The Maine Alliance for Road Associations

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software